Monday, July 27, 2015

PRROFREADER... by Carolina Vidal

PRROFREADER
PROOFREADER
By Carolina Vidal, Senior, English Major

 
When I first got the opportunity to interview for a position as a proofreader, I thought it was the natural thing to do. I am an English major, so it makes sense to find an internship that has something to do with reading, writing, or just looking for typos. It would give me enough experience to know whether or not I really liked the field, and it would have something to do with the English language.

After I was hired, I was ecstatic. I had done some proofreading for some unknown, self-published authors, but nothing too serious. Being hired to do that was a whole different thing, and the responsibility scared me. What if I couldn’t do it? What if I made a mistake? You know, it’s like anything else in life: you can do it, but when you tell someone, “Watch this,” suddenly you can’t.

But the weeks went by, I made mistakes here and there, learned from them (or at least I like to believe I did), and I’m still there. I got some encouraging feedback from my supervisors and had the opportunity to learn many things, especially about myself and in what kind of environment I like best. I have discovered I really enjoy working in a quiet environment. Compared to my previous experience when I was a student teacher in a kindergarten class, I can say I really love not having to talk all the time. I love children, but at the end of the day, I was always exhausted! So far, I am loving every minute of this experience. It seems like there’s always something that makes it interesting, or at least something that makes me think, “Huh! I had no idea!”

No comments:

Post a Comment